nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Creative Every Day Challenge Day 7


Today was a much better day. I totally submersed myself into my artwork today. I don't have any finished pieces to show you, but I'll tell you a little bit about the process. I have been working on some new jewelry designs that incorporate precious metal clay, also known as art clay or PMC. The clay is fired in the kiln and becomes 99.9% pure silver...sterling silver is 92.5%. The clay has always made me a little nervous. I guess it's the cost, and the fact that it can dry out really quickly and mess things up. But, today I put all my fears aside. I rolled it out between 2 sets of playing cards for a even thickness. After it was rolled out, I textured it with a brass floral texture plate. Then I used cutters to cut the clay just like when you make cookies. I separated all the cut pieces to dry.
I even managed to make a few owls with the extra clay. After the pieces were dry, I sanded the edges with a fine sandpaper. Then they went into the kiln to be fired. They came out great and I can't wait to use them tomorrow! Yeah! Happy Art Day!Pin It