nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

should you stay or should you go?


How do you like the new painting? It's called, "Should You Stay or Should You Go". It's part of a new body of work for a gallery show December 5th. I'm very excited about this solo show!

"Should You Stay or Should You Go" has been on my mind a lot lately. It all started with my studio building being put up for sale by my landgoddess (aka landlord). You see, landgoddess and I have become very good friends over the past year. The opportunity arose for me to possibly end my lease early, and move out of my studio. I debated on this for a long time. The rent although affordable, was taking away from my family's nest egg. And I discovered after a year that I didn't like having a big studio to myself. It's lonely. Wine Husband tried to come and work with me at the studio...but his cell phone goes off way too much with wine business stuff...and I found it very distracting, even on vibrate. So...I sent him home to work instead. So, here I am... in this drop dead gorgeous studio, with every possible art supply you could imagine...and what was happening...I couldn't make art! How strange is that! Either I wasn't inspired...couldn't find things because I have way too much stuff...or was too busy with the business and marketing side of art to make the rent every month....that I didn't have the time to create. A big bummer.

I was worried that if I gave up the studio...everyone would see me as a failure. I also didn't want to go home to work, for fear I would loose my motivation and sit around in my jammies all day watching Oprah...or playing on the Internet. So, every day was...."Should I stay...or should I go". And then to make things worse, everyone in my family seemed more attached to the studio than me. My kids have a place to hang out and create...we even had my daughter's birthday party there. And Wine Husband has created a paradise in the outside courtyard. How could I leave it?

Well, the answer finally came, while filming the guest artists for my Art Play class. While video taping the guest artists for the class...I learned how important it is for me to surround myself with other artists. The creative energy that transpires when artists let their guard down and share with each other is really powerful stuff. It helped me make up my mind. I needed that in my life...and it was just down the street. When I first visited this Island, I went to an artist co-op called The Blue Door Artists. I was blown away with the quality of the work years ago...and it was one of the reasons that I decided to move here. But, for some unknown reason...I never pursued getting a space there. I guess I thought I might not fit in. Or worse...I wasn't good enough. Oh, why oh why...do we do that to ourselves.? We all know better!

I made up my mind to move my studio down the street to the Blue Door Artists. It was a big decision. Then once I made up my mind...you know what...there were no spaces open for artists. But, a very good friend and fantastic artist...opened her studio to me. She has been in it for over 5 years...and she was willing to downsize and share the space with me. Isn't that incredible. I think it's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. Her name is Casey Matthews and she paints the most inspiring abstract paintings I have ever seen! I hope you will check out her stuff. She has a blog too. Here's one of her large abstracts that she started in the Art Play class.

I am so excited about the possibilities at the new studio. To be surrounded with such creativity and inspiration is going to be a daily blessing. I am hoping to make it all happen by November 1st. Originally, someone wanted to rent my studio Nov. 1st, but they have since fallen through. So, I'm hoping someone will come along and take over my big gorgeous studio, and I will move to the cozy little (be looking for a huge art supply sale soon) creative spot down the street. I know it's where I need to be.

Love,
WyannePin It