nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Monday, October 13, 2008

change is good....

I know it's been a while since I posted...I'm so sorry. But there have been lots of changes going on. Someone leased my gorgeous loft, and I'm in the process of packing everything up. I'm moving about 1 block down to the Blue Door Artists studios and gallery in just a couple of short weeks. I'll be sharing a studio with my great friend, Casey Matthews. I'm not sad about leaving, and am very excited to work around such fabulous artists! So...change is good....

As many of you know, I've been blessed(?) with a head full of silver locks since I was in high school. It became so difficult to cover it up that I finally gave up a few years ago, and let it shine in all it's beauty(?). But, I still wasn't exactly happy about it, because even with a young face I was mistakenly called my "daughter's grandmother" by too many unknowing people. I knew that I wanted to change that impression without having to fully dye all my hair again. So, I met a great hairdresser who had unbelievable talent, understood and knew I wanted a little something "funky" because I was an artist. Hallelujah! After chickening out of 3 appointments, I finally decided to let him do his magic. We briefly talked about what he would do, and I told him that I trusted his creativity and judgment. This is what he came up with:


I don't know if you can see it in the picture...but it's a tad violet, and there are more streaks of it going around my head. When he first showed me...I almost had a stroke. I thought it would match the darker natural brown that I still have left in my hair. In the nicest way...I told him it would take some getting used too...and if my family hated it...could we change it? He said we could.

The drive back home was filled with worry. What would people think! This is so not me! Wine Husband would think I had lost my mind. I had to go to an art opening that night! I felt like I had leaned against a wet painting! I began to panic! When I arrived back on the Island...I drove around to try to find a hair salon open that could fix it for me. Nothing was open. I had no choice but to let everyone see it. Horrors!

When I arrived home I made a b-line to my 14 year old son's room. I knew he would tell me the truth...especially if he was too embarrassed to be seen with me! He looked at it closely....and said..."It looks cool...Mom". Wow...I was not expecting that! Then I made my way upstairs to show Wine Husband. To my surprise...he told me it looked "Hot"....and how much younger I looked. I started to relax. Then later that evening....everyone at the gallery complimented me on it....

It was different....it was artsy....and it was unique....I started looking at it in a whole new light. It was me....and I was too scared to take a chance....

You know...I'm always preaching to my students that "Change is Good"....."Take chances" ....let yourself find your unique style. Don't worry about what others think! It's truly a hard thing to do. We always worry about what others think. Whether it's our art, our clothes, or even our hair. The world doesn't need everything to look the same...and we all need to go out on a limb more. But, sometimes we need the reassurance from others...that being different is good. So, when you see another individual or artist...taking a chance...let them know how proud you are of them for taking that chance.....we all need to hear that praise sometimes.

So thank you to all my glorious students who have worked so hard on their unique art and truly made it their own. I'm really proud of you! Thank you for taking chances! Thank you for creating such beautiful art and sharing it over the past weeks. I am so blessed to have worked with each and every one of you!

Oh....and last, but not least...I called my hairstylist and told him I loved my hair.

Be different...take a chance. Change is good.

Love,
WyannePin It