nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

it may not be Macy's, but it comes from the heart....


Last Saturday, I enjoyed our annual Lighted Christmas parade downtown. It's a pretty big deal around here. A lot of the local businesses, non profit organizations, churches and officials participate by creating lighted parade floats. We even have pirates (our city is known for them) and Santa makes one last appearance before he has to get back to the North Pole. They pass out candy and beaded necklaces to all the children along the way. Seeing it with my family, was the greatest. It was so heartwarming, and you couldn't help but get in the Christmas spirit. It made me so happy that we moved here from the hustle and bustle of Atlanta. Of course, we had much grander parades in Atlanta, but we never attended one in the entire 18 years that I lived there. It was just too stressful to get around.

A lady standing next to me said, "It may not be Macy's, but it comes from the heart." How true that was.....

Last week when I attended the incredible Art Basel show in Miami, I was blown away and often brought to tears by the quality of artwork that I saw there. I remember looking at this huge 40" x 60" piece and thinking what a beautiful angelic photograph it was.

I glanced down at the tag below it, only to discover it was a mixed media painting in oil and acrylic! I was memorized to say the least.

As an artist, you can't help but soak all of it in, and unfortunately begin self judging your own work. It does make you feel a tad inadequate, or that you are not trying as hard as you should at your craft. It leaves you a little confused, analytical, and excited about new possibilities all at the same time. I have to admit, even I....got in a little funk....

On my flight back home, there were two artists from the show talking behind me. They were both represented by two major galleries. Their work sold for what some people make in an entire year! They were each excited because the show had gone well, and they had each sold something. Yet, as I listened to them talk...they were not totally happy individuals. They each had to work full time jobs totally unrelated to their art....the galleries were taking 50% of their earnings, and they didn't have much time for their family.

As the artists chattered away...my funk quickly lifted. I learned a lot of new things at the show. I knew I needed to push my artistic abilities even further this next year. Try new techniques, explore new mediums, stretch my wings even further. How blessed am I to work for myself, spend time with my family, and be surrounded by outstanding artists on a daily basis! To create my own artwork, not dictated by galleries, and have a worldwide audience every day who loves and appreciates it because it comes from my heart. It's amazing, and I have so much to be thankful for.

I just finished this new painting. "It's not Macy's"....but I think you'll like it just the same. :)

"For the Best"
mixed media on canvas
18" x 18"

It's also a mixed media painting on canvas. I'm trying some new techniques to achieve smooth subtle collage elements, giving the painting a very clean contemporary look. See...I'm stretching my wings already.

Here's a video of the painting:




This will probably be my last post of this year. I travel to Atlanta to see our family for Christmas next week. I hope you have a fabulous holiday season with yours.

And if you want to stretch your wings a little bit over the holidays, I'm offering my two video online classes, Mixed Media with the Girls, and Art Play at 15% off through Dec. 26th. You can get the discount only through my etsy store.

Happy, happy holidays and love to everyone. You have made my year incredible. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

WyannePin It