nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Friday, April 17, 2009

imperfections.........


"She Loves Nature"
18" x 18" x 1 1/2"
mixed media on wood


Wow...I cannot believe it's been almost a month since my last post. I've been a bad, bad blogger lately....I hope you'll forgive me.

The painting above, is my latest. It was done on a great wood panel from Cheap Joes Art Supply. These are wood panels that have been cradled with wood sides with a depth of 1 1/2". I was very excited to find them, but a little disappointed when I took them out of the shipping box. You see, I have been wanting to paint on wood and actually let some of the natural wood grain show through in the painting. These boards need to be gessoed. They have imperfections. But if I primed the wood with white or black gesso, I would loose the wood grain. So, I decided to work with the imperfections and allow them to become part of the painting. The imperfections became strings on the balloons. It came out quite nicely. And I liked it so much, that I already started another painting on the wood panels. I've learned that imperfections can make for great creativity.

Over the past few weeks I've been getting into the swing of things...having my own studio gallery at Blue Door, and keeping it stocked. It's a co-op gallery, and we are all good friends. Each person has a day that they work and open/close the gallery. This past few weeks we have been really busy with all the Spring Break tourists. I met some fabulous people. I can't begin to tell you how fun it is to work at your studio every day and have people drop in from all over the world. And it becomes such a small world when you know each other already from the Internet. So, if you ever get a chance to come to my little island...please stop by the Blue Door and see me!


Many of you have heard me talk about my good friend and artist, Casey Matthews. She came to my rescue when I needed a new studio space, and actually shared her space with me for many months. Well, I'm very excited tonight to attend her opening at The Cummer Museum of Art in Jacksonville, FL. She has 16 pieces in the show...and I am SO, SO PROUD OF HER! If you want to check out the show...it runs through May 31st. More information here.

So, I'm off to the show. I'm expecting a wee bit of craziness in the next couple of weeks as both kid's birthdays and the Fernandina Shrimp Festival descend upon me. But, I promise to be a better blogger even with the craziness!

Love,
WyannePin It