nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Saturday, July 25, 2009

connected

"Connected"
mixed media on wood
12" x 12"


We live in an age where everything is connected through technology. I now have an iPhone that I carry with me at all times, that allows me to stay connected to the Internet, my email, Etsy, Facebook, Twitter and loads of other things. I feel lost when I don't have it...I feel out of touch. This technology is incredible because it has reconnected me with family and best friends that I haven't been in touch with for over 20 years. Through programs like Facebook and Twitter...I can keep in touch with everyone and what they are doing on a day to day, minute by minute basis. I've made new friends from all over the world, that I would have never known if it were not available. I feel very thankful to have this technology in my life. But, at the same time it speeds things up. It takes over. It takes us to a more superficial level, and it causes us to get a little lazy with our connections. Everyone we meet in life is for a reason. We might not know the reason, but it's there.

A few weeks ago, I finally came to the decision that I could not do my artwork at home , or at my Blue Door studio/gallery. Both had too many distractions and interruptions, and it was hard to make a good art mess, in either place. So, I set out to find a new working creative space. I would keep Blue Door as more of a gallery space. I started telling my friends that I was looking...I checked Craigslist regularly...and went on tons of appointments. I met some very interesting people along the way. Nothing felt right. I tried not to get too disappointed and keep positive. The right thing would come along at the right time. One afternoon, I remembered a person I met a long time ago, and who I don't stay in touch with. She had mentioned some cottages here on the Island in a casual conversation years ago. I knew where they were, but had never even set foot in the parking lot. So, I decided drive by and see them. I could hardly believe when I stepped out of the car, and saw a "For Rent" sign in one. I knew it was the right space. I called the owner, who was the nicest lady in the world....and even told me I could get paint on the floor. I knew I was home.

I'm glad I paid attention to that casual conversation a long time ago. I had that conversation for a reason, that is so clear now. So, even with our close connected technological world...I'm going to start paying a little closer attention to the people that come in and out of my life. They are all here for a reason. I'm going to make more of an effort to stay positively aware with everyone I come in contact with. I might not be able to see the gift that a person holds for me right away. But, I'll know that it is there...no matter how big or small...and I will be open, receptive, and not forceful...letting it gently unfold itself.

Thank you all for being in my life.

Love,
Wyanne

Here's a new video for you.



Pin It