nav

HOME  BLOG   CLASSES   ETSY   YOUTUBE

Monday, September 20, 2010

the wanderer


"The Wanderer"
mixed media with resin

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  Getting the final details finished on the "Paint Free" class took up a lot of my time.  The class began last week, and I was able to get back to painting.  I wanted to do a painting that incorporated all the physical and mental techniques that I had been teaching my students.

I went back to paper, because it was the first surface that I learned to paint on.  I gave it up a long time ago, when I realized that most art collectors would prefer not to have to frame a piece.  I shouldn't have done that, but at the time it seemed to be the best economic solution for me personally.  I also used a combination of acrylics, watercolor and gouache.  I didn't use any collage elements in the painting.  I wanted it to be created entirely with paint.



I wanted to keep the brushstrokes loose and painterly, without giving up too much detail.  I also wanted it to be dark and moody without feeling gloomy. I felt that it should tell a story that might be sweet and cute on the outside, but might have deeper meanings and connotations depending on the viewer. 

It was a pretty tall order to put on a little 12" x 12" piece of watercolor paper.  But, I decided not to worry about it, and allow things to happen with the piece.  When it was done, I was amazed.  To some people, I guess it might look like the rest of my work.  But, for those of you who know me well...I think you will be able to see the difference.  It was the first painting, that I felt that I achieved everything I wanted...technically, emotionally and visually in one piece.  It's definitely a turning point for me.

I think a lot of it had to do with my new Paint Free class.

I had been on pins and needles waiting for the class to start...at times wondering if the information was enough.  Wondering if I could teach something in 6 weeks that had taken me a decade to figure out for myself and if it would be accepted. I gave it my all, held nothing back, and kept it real.  After the first assignment on the second day, I read through comments, emails, and blog posts from the students.  It was already making changes in their art and life, and we had not even completed week one.  I am excited and filled with tremendous gratitude.

Sharing my knowledge with my students created such intense positive energy and light that it radiated back into my own artwork without me even realizing it at the time.  How cool is that?

I took the painting on paper and mounted it onto a 2" deep wood canvas.  It created a firm strong foundation for it.  I painted the sides of the wood with a burnt orange stain.  And then covered the painting in a coat of resin preserving it for years to come.

It all started with a little sheet of watercolor paper...just as it did years ago.  Everything comes full circle.

Here's a new video for the painting.



A special thank you to all the artists that have joined me in the "Paint Free" class.  Your love, excitement and positive energy has impacted my life and art.  I will never be the same.  Thank you for that.

With much love and tremendous gratitude,
WyannePin It